Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Can I have your lunch?

While I was driving home from class I was struggling with being single, and not knowing what the future holds, or where I'm supposed to be, or what I'm supposed to be doing. There are so many things that I find joy in that I'm not able to do because of the time I've devoted to going to school. I desperately miss the time I was able to spend with people, however, I don't want to give up on schooling, even though I have no clue what I'm supposed to do with the schooling I'm getting.....

Trying to focus on anything but the funk I was getting myself into, I turned on the radio and started listening to a speaker on the Focus on the Family program. One of the main points was "Are we available for all that God has for us?" Truly available. The example given was of the little boy with the barley loaves and small fish that Jesus used to feed the multitude. Now the boy was most likely poor, and probably didn't have a whole lot. When the disciples came to the boy, he had a choice; he could keep his meager lunch, believing that such meager portions could not possibly feed so many people, or he could offer it all up, excited to see what may happen.

We can feel so small and out numbered by those who are so contrary to our God, and overwhelmed by a society that does everything to blot out God's name from existence. God, however, is bigger than our society, and bigger than those who fight against Him. God has a part that each of us are to participate in, He just asks us to be willing to give what we have. "But Lord my portion is so small there's no way it can make at difference." He answers "Can I have your lunch?" And we insist "But Lord what could so little do against so much?". "Can I have your lunch?"

In stubborness we can hold onto the small portion we have or we can offer up even our meager portions to the God who multiplies.

No comments: